Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hearing Yourself

This is an odd subject. For a lot of reasons.


I'm very new to singing. Out loud and in public at any rate.


I like to think that I'm my own worst critic but that implies that I'm capable of judging. What if i stink at judging???


The recorder will be running at this weekends practice. God, help me.


We've all seen the singers on stage with their ear buds locked tightly to their heads. Found out that this is referred to as an In Ear Monitor or IEM for those of us who like short stuff.


The sound going to these typically comes from a mixer where the user can select the combinations of voice and music channels that they feel provides them with the feedback they seek.


I'm thinking that, if I ever get one of these bad boys, my wisest choice would be to add a liberal dose of the mute channel.


Several chat threads mention the pros and cons of this IEM system or that. The interesting thing is that, very often, someone refers to simply using ear plugs. I like that idea and will certainly try it out.


We'll probably have to have hand signals lest someone tosses a brick at my head to get my attention.


Off to build a practice schedule for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment